Sunday, February 23, 2020

Singapore on a budget

This post is full of appreciation.
Whenever I look out of my window on the 23rd floor of Laguna Park, a complex on the East Coast in Singapore, I am flooded by feelings of gratitude.
What, I live here?

Accommodation
If you can rent long-term, look for a Facebook group called: Singapore Housing, Rooms, Flats, Apartments, Sublets, Roommates. I found my $210 a week sublet by chance. Sadly, the person who's been off traveling in the past 3 weeks is coming back soon. And off I'll go to embrace homelessness again... Well, did you know that the capsule hostels in Chinatown boast with semi-soundproof pods, usually include free breakfast, laundry facilities and a choice of female-only dorms? Let alone they are in such a cool location with shopping malls and hawker eating courts within a walking distance.  $25-45 a night seems to be the range for the classier stuff. In my opinion, with a bed above $30 per night it's pushing it... it's not like you get much privacy there anyway.
I am looking forward to my usual runs up and down the stars on Ann Siang Hill. 
For now, I can still make the most out of my affordable master bedroom a few steps away from the beach. True, in Ubud I could have a whole villa to myself or a fancy bungalow with Balinese style breakfast every day, but in the end, it is incomparable!

Things to do near my house
Most mornings I stroll down to the beach Hawker place for my black kopi o, then sit on one of the benches along the shore and watch the calm sea lined with boats and ships.
The coffee costs me $1.50 and the view is priceless. Sometimes I journal to clear my head and prepare to deposit some daily feel-good thoughts into my 'optimism bank'. 
I can then either walk to a fruit and veg store about 20 minutes away or cruise around the laguna, voyeuring the hunky wakeboarders. I should try this fun water sport before I leave this part of the town!
The website says it's $50 for beginners. Hmmm...not now.
Once I get back to the apartment, I make breakfast to power me through a gym session. Storing basic groceries at home means I am finally getting super savvy. However, contrary to what people think, the food here is affordable. Oftentimes, it's even cheaper to eat out than cook up something complex at home. Hawker's Laksa for lunch - $5, and oh my god, how delicious is that! I eat more real food here than in Bali where after $10 lunch in the 'cleaner' restaurants, I felt quite cheated and still hungry. Ok, I could have paid just $2 at a street stall. Sometimes it would work out just fine but at other times, I would spend half the night crouched down above the toilet. (Later, from below the toilet, having stuff flying out both ends, ehm, a very unforgettable night.)

Fitness
I frequent the gym every day. It became my second home where they know me by name. I tend to attend classes based on my mood and current energy level. If I am super busy or tired, I don't mind to skip it, but then I make sure that I make up for it by spending there a good 2 hours the next day, or walking a bit extra or swimming in our communal pool, which is free. My gym membership is the most expensive thing I currently don't want to compromise on. Still, it has a good value for someone who cannot commit to 3 months or longer at this stage. I hold it on a monthly basis, no joining fee, no commitment, all classes included, no charge for towels - $200. For me, there's no question that it's worth it.
There are yoga classes in independent studios around here that ran as high as $25. Conveniently, one can book cheaper classes over the app called Classpass. They offer a 30-day free trial.
My favorite class takes place outside on a wooden deck, right across the Marina Bay Sands Hotel. The view is abundance itself. It fetches only $10 if booked through the app and you feel like a million dollars throughout and afterward. Laura, the facilitator, offers some passes on the spot, too. 
She also hosts Sunday yin yoga and gong sound healing sessions that are by donation only! Not to be missed. For acro fans, there is a free Acro Jam every Thursday evening near One Raffles Place.
If you want a free workout altogether, the coast is lined with basic exercising equipment for anyone to use. Jogging along the river is also free!

Coworking
If you're a so-called digital nomad or a creative life coach like me, you will love it in Singapore.
There is WeWork, Spaces, and alike. I find this website with comprehensive reviews very helpful: here
Smart Space in Waterloo Street is running 2 weeks free trial at the moment. I enjoyed my time there, but in the end, I decided that $360 a month with a curfew was a no-no and $600 for unlimited access seemed slightly over my current budget.
Where else can one work in peace, inspired, distraction-free, and use printing facilities? The National Library in Bugis! It's free to go there with your laptop, cheap to book a PC and you can even read books... come on, are there more romantic places in the world than libraries and book stores?
But you can't take any calls :/
One thing I will be missing in the hostel is the soundproof Skype booth. The great news is that unlike in Bali, the wireless network in Singapore is fast and reliable. You can get a good deal on unlimited data too, and then taking calls outdoors denotes no issue.

Fashion
It was about time to stop parading around like an Ubudian hippie. 
Last week I went on a shopping spree. Some shops had final discounts after the Chinese New Year. Those were the charges:
Three formal dresses all for $40 total.
Two casual dresses $30
Bata formal shoes $25
Jaw-dropping.

Weekend activities
Getting to the Sentosa island will costs you less than $3. That is if you live as far as I do. With my Nets card it's less than $2 by bus or the MRT to the Harbourfront. Then the special Sentosa express comes to exactly $1.
You read it well. Who can say that going to an island cost him $1???? Singaporeans can!
Hiking Mt. Faber and the Henderson Bridge is another of my free favorites.
And the best for last - getting everywhere on foot is my most enjoyable activity! Costs you nothing, your legs will tone up, you'll see the local life, and you can meet people.

For ladies only
If you're not shy, just wander around looking approachable and warm-heartedly accept invites to free dinners and drinks. Why not! The men here are looking for a company and you're looking to be entertained. The rules are yours to make.
Just by testing out Tinder while visiting Singapore for the first time last year, I got to see a few nice places, eat in 5-star restaurants, go clubbing and swim in many large swimming pools. Playing a charming company has always come naturally to me. I also created a few friendships along the way.
This year I am off the apps since online dating is not the best-suited way for me to find the right man. I prefer to meet people organically.
Like, the last week on my way home by bus. A good-looking German began disturbing me with his piercing blue eyes. Then we spent a nice weekend together filled with fun stuff.
As a lady, you are more likely to find Singapore super affordable than mosts lads her. Well, they work hard but play hard too.
Stay savvy with your money and you can enjoy this amazing city for a lot longer!


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind and have some compassion for my non-native English grammar. Applications for voluntary editing are now open.