Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Alcohol, altered states of consciousness and the body

To drink or not to drink?

Please stick with this post even if you are abstinent.

I recall that I started drinking when I was 15...
Phew, I know what you're thinking: So late???
Well, in the Czech Republic we give Becherovka to children way before they reach their teens. 

Mum: "Oh, you've got a stomach ache? Here, have some medicine."
Becherovka might have 10 different herbal extracts (I don't know), but it still has 38% of alcohol (confirmed).
Does it help to kill some bugs? Maybe.
My 10-year-old self: "Mum, I feel so heavy after this beef and bread-dumplings covered in cream..." 
Ok, here's a little of Gambrinus (popular Czech beer).
Does it help with digestion? Maybe. 

Once I reached 15, I decided that enough was of Becherovka on a spoon, shots of beer and stealing sips of wine during family celebrations. I wanted to get high on vodka and rum. 
My first blackout happened when I turned 17. The two years prior to that I was just test-driving. Always the black sheep of the family, alcohol and parties were my mental and physical escape.

I don't wish that type of alcohol-soaked adolescence to anyone. 
I used to drink so much it makes me nauseous now.
At 25, I took a gap year because I realized that my drinking got out of hand. I knew that if I wouldn't get sober, I'd never finish my Bachelor studies, in fact, I'd possibly commit suicide. 
So I traveled to Asia, as all the crazy people do... It did save my life and I've never been the same since.

Frankly, the drinking didn't stop altogether, but the severity became mild in comparison. My body has always been sensitive and I could never handle as much alcohol as my peers.
Luckily, studying fairly sober throughout the final 1, 5 years of the Bachelor program, I would nail the state exam.

Then comes a heartbreak at 28, a lot of other transitions, and self-medicating with wine proceeded.
Settling in Australia, hard spirits were out, red wine was in. A lot of red wine...

In 2018, I don't extend my visa, I find myself in the Czech Republic again, and a dark cloud sets above my shoulders... Where is the wine bottle???!!!!

People come and go during my next Asian adventures and I alternate weeks of total sobriety and yoga with days of hedonism and late nights bar-hopping...

At 31, I notice that 3 glasses of wine seems my elegant maximum before I act ghastly. By 32, I start passing out after 2 drinks. 
Nearing my 33rd birthday, I hold enough experience to adhere to one bottle of beer maximum once per week. I guess I'm headed to total abstinence!
It's important for me to stay focused on my mental health. I know that too much alcohol triggers panic attacks in me and in overall, long-term over-consumption contributes to depression - in everyone.


Alcohol is common. People from different walks of life shape their own approach to drinking based on their individual experiences and body-sensitivity. Alcohol has been a part of western culture and of some Asian cultures too for years. Apparently, Korea is quite famous for drinking! Living in Singapore, I can confirm that the locals like to drink here, too.

Final thoughts: 
I have no doubt that we don't need alcohol at all. 
It's not the same as water that sustains and hydrates us.
It's not the same as food - protein, vitamins and minerals - that is crucial for our wellbeing.
But it is still there, as a social lubricant, as a fermented beverage that puts the cap on your overthinking and creates ways to test our resilience. 
Crimes were committed from alcohol-induced crazy minds, and crimes were done from absolutely sober reasoning, too...
Alcohol has neutral energy.
You know very well that if you wanted to stay in your private calm bubble and avoid all the drinkers, you'd never leave your house and have no friends.
I'm not suggesting to give in to a peer-pressure, no-no! I'm just saying that being tea-total does not make you 'better than -'.

Across centuries you hear of nations using various hallucinogenic plants, DMT and other substances to create altered states of consciousness. Do we need to do that in order to access different realms?
Perhaps.
A spiritual person or not, a substance does not necessarily help you attune to your higher self - and - wait for it, staying abstinent won't guarantee that you'll ever get there either. Not painlessly for sure.

Admittedly, I had some incredible revelations on Ayahuasca and also on alcohol... I recognize that wine or beer in just the right amount (a tiny one) helps me relax, turns off the monkey mind and even negative inner voices.
However, it may also switch off the voices of the spirit. My guides and angels always talk to me, and they can console me whenever I call on to them, even when I'm tipsy. But initially, when I reach for a drink, I demonstrate to them that this time I want to rely solely on my own power. 
I display a message to the Universe that would read like this: Yeah, I know that I could meditate instead, take a long walk, breathe or make love to someone... but, not right now.


In my opinion, it is important to pick up a drink, anything, with the right energy behind the action. Rather than drowning your anxiety stress, or anger with your juice, celebrate.  
Know that you are an autonomous human being but if you'd like just a small amount of help from the spirit, it is always available to you. 
Good news, the same goes for when you're drunk... you just need to ask and allow.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind and have some compassion for my non-native English grammar. Applications for voluntary editing are now open.