Thursday, April 9, 2020

Bringing back the playful...

This post is probably long overdue.
After all, the bitching about men with not enough masculine energy in them says more about me than anyone else. I revealed that I've turned from a very feminine woman into an analyzing and doing machine, and I didn't like it. Where has all the playful and loving energy gone?

I embarked on a little personal quest to bring it back... Men still seemed like a troubled territory, so I started with dogs. Why do I pass them by with so much fear? Why do I interpret their persistent barking as a menace?

The next time I came across two angry-looking poodles, I caught myself consoling me in my head: Just close your eyes, perhaps you can pass them unnoticed, ignore the noise, not too quick, not too slow, go!
No, that time I shifted my nervous energy to the one of love and joy, I stopped to bend down and pet their little bodies. 
Oh my god! 
All those weeks I have been preventing myself from feeling this unconditional dog love??? The poodles were overjoyed that I have quit ignoring them. I played with them for a few minutes, so happy that I transformed my fear...

I began using that technique with other dogs, bigger and louder ones - without checking to pet them. Moving along these hounds with a loving, appreciating and playful energy surprisingly didn't feel so difficult. As a confirmation - their barking changed.
Suddenly, it didn't seem as if they hated my guts. There is still one beast who doesn't leave me alone, regardless of the fact that I pass by the land in the evening several times a week. Should I turn around and play?

The other day I took a trip to the east side of the island. New place, new energy, new people, new dogs...
This one absolutely blew my mind. I was breathlessly climbing up one steep hill to find a smoothie bar with a view. I looked up and noticed a beautiful big brown breed at the top patiently waiting for me. I don't remember whether I had to work through my dread or I just surrendered and thought: Bring it on, show me what you got... 
I paused to catch my breath, he sensed my welcoming attitude, run up to me - without barking - and I instantaneously knew that he was safe and in need to play! I engaged with him, petted him, danced with him and couldn't believe what a beauty he was. He was so excited to have me there, he smudged dirt all over my chest and left a long scratch on my arm, but I knew it was all out of love... then he hopped away and I assumed, OK, let's follow the dog.

The dog led me to the empty bar as all previous indications disappeared.
I admired my guide.
By the time I reached the top deck, I was soaked in sweat. The view (see photos) was worth every bit of the effort. Plus, I knew that I learned something important.
Perhaps I should be approaching men like I do with dogs. 
Believing the best, trusting, and letting them have their way with me. Ha, uhm, well, sort of...




























No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind and have some compassion for my non-native English grammar. Applications for voluntary editing are now open.