Wednesday, April 15, 2020

PMS again!? Why?

There is never enough of period posts, isn't it?

Last month's cycle was beauuuuuutiful! A painless, short, mentally stable-ish, and vital process. That's what's possible when you're a diligent guinea pig. I nailed what Alisa Vitti recommends in her book: In the flo
However, I omitted some treacherous details, setting myself up for a small disaster the next month.

This month has been challenging.
I can't blame the Universe, men or COVID-19, it is all my innocent delinquency... 
Thankfully, I realized what I've done wrong before it could have spiraled and I'd went off the rails completely.
When your diet cannot save you, your compassionate heart and focused mind will.

What are the symptoms of Pre-Menstrual Syndrom aka PMS? 
It ranges from physical tension, muscle cramps, bloating, indigestion, moodiness to light insomnia, anxiety, panic attacks and uncontrollably intense emotions - usually those of despair and sadness. It is common to tear up more easily before or during a woman's period or have all kinds of unkind thoughts towards oneself and anger towards the opposite sex...

But why? 
What is the trigger behind women being cheerful the first half of the cycle and mini-monsters in the second half (sometimes)?


It's a combination of the wrong type of food, lifestyle choices, repeated unhealthy patterns in diet and toxic relationships, and disrespecting the female infradian rhythm - we just function differently in life week to week than men do. Certain actions either align with our hormonal system or they sabotage it.  
Read on the other details and hands-on tips on how can we prevent PMS.


Of course, there is a room for a cheat day. But again - the day has only 24 hours. I know ladies, that we tend to stretch the indulgence way beyond the one day.
Good news, every week of your 4-week cycle allows for different indulgences.

Alisa Vitti recommends the following lifestyle and dietary choices:
Start with the first day of the menstrual phase (week 1) - treat it as a holistic cleansing time. Go inward and attune to your intuition. Steer clear of alcohol, caffeine, sugar and rest a lot. Eat protein and healthy fats to keep you energized and full. 
What you haven't done right the last time around, start correcting it in the following follicular phase (week 2).  Load up on fermented foods and introduce cardio exercise. It's a good time to learn and plan. 
During ovulation (week 3), you are allowed to experiment with vigorous exercise like HIIT, intermittent fasting, light imbibing (though it's still best not to drink), and a little of caffeine if needed. Focus on building muscle, eat more raw or paleo. It's the easiest time to communicate your needs clearly to others and be more social. 
In your luteal phase (week 4), where you are predisposed to lower energy and carbohydrates craving due to the drop in progesterone and estrogen rising, honor your body’s need for extra calories. Have rice, sweet potato, gluten-free noodles - starches are advisable and guilt-free. Leading up to the period, we must decrease inflammation. No dairy, no alcohol, no caffeine, no sugar, and no gluten. Stay clear of biscuits and fried food. 

The sneaky mistake #1: My diet was clean but only around 1000 calories a day simply for the lack of the time to eat - I was too busy learning shamanic healing. I also felt overwhelmed regarding the whole lockdown situation, plus I dealt with a romance gone wrong and sleep deprivation. 
Before menstruation, it is crucial that we ease out on the exercise, try pilates or swimming instead, schedule priorities and take care of our personal needs first. 
A mistake # 2: I didn't relax during the bleed, I went back on the coffee, worked late nights and some days I even hiked over 20k steps. 

If you follow the protocol the whole 4 weeks +/-, come the menstrual phase again, you have no cramps, you're ready to sleep more, do yoga and screw the world.

My check-list:
Simple anti-inflammatory nutrition during the 4-week cycle ✓
More food in the Luteal phase ✗
Rest, yoga and sound sleep during the menstrual phase ✗
Still, my body rewarded me with the most easygoing period of my life ✓
Hold and behold...
Now you'll see how everything's connected.

Nearly one month later, I am going crazy over Oreos, sweet lattes, bread, and wine... like wtf? My body is compensating for the 2 past mistakes in a counter-productive way... yet it makes sense.
Maybe I’m also paying for the lack of lovers in my bed ... But it's not been a loveless month, and that is why mentally I am doing pretty okay. My PM emotional rollercoaster happened very briefly and it didn't make me despise the whole world. I've been very grateful. 
We need love, we need our tribe and a favorable environment to feel happy.
With this awareness of my actions - poor nutrition, unmet needs of my natural biorhythm, I still have a third option: 
Be kind to myself ✓
Always. No need to wait for a specific phase of the cycle, a day of the week, or for when I do everything right. 
No reason needed for being kind to oneself.

The time to get back on track is now.

If PMS strikes, get off the coffee now, supplement yourself with adaptogens like Reishi and Chaga mushrooms, Ashwagandha herb, take extra calcium and magnesium, be kind to yourself and listen to your intuition - perhaps it’s trying to tell you that some pattern is not quite right for you. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind and have some compassion for my non-native English grammar. Applications for voluntary editing are now open.